On September 24th, we sent all candidates across the region Food Security Briefing notes and a six question survey to find out more about where they stand on Food Security initiatives.
At LUSH Valley Food Action Society (LUSH Valley), we know how important it is to have leaders and decision makers, across the region, that will stand up for our local communities, economies and the environment especially as it relates to healthy food production and access.
Take a look at what candidates had to say:
- City of Courtenay Candidates
- Town of Comox Candidates
- Village of Cumberland Candidates
- Comox Valley Regional District Electoral Area Candidates
On October 20th, everyone has an opportunity to go to the polls and vote for a Food Secure Comox Valley. To find out more about candidates’ food security platforms (or lack thereof) contact us!
Other dates to be aware of:
- Courtenay Advance Voting:
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8am – 8pm at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Ave
- Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8am – 8pm at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Ave
- Comox Advance Voting:
- Wednesday, October 10th at the Community Centre (Multi-Purpose Hall) 1855 Noel Ave 8am to 8pm
- Saturday, October 13th at Council Chambers, 1801B Beaufort Ave 10am to 2pm
- Monday, October 15th at Council Chambers, 1801B Beaufort Ave 10am to 2pm
- Wednesday, October 17th at the Community Centre (Multi-Purpose Hall), 1855 Noel Ave 8am to 8pm
- Cumberland Advance Voting
- Wednesday, October 10 Cumberland Council Chambers 2675 Dunsmuir Ave 8am-8pm
- Saturday, October 13 Cumberland Council Chambers 2675 Dunsmuir Ave 8am-8pm
- Comox Valley Regional District Advance Voting
- October 10, 2018 CVRD District Boardroom – 550B Comox Road, Courtenay 8am-8pm
- October 17, 2018 CVRD District Boardroom – 550B Comox Road, Courtenay 8am-8pm
- All Candidates
- October 12th: Comox All Candidates (Comox Recreation Centre at 7PM)
- October 16th: Courtenay All Candidates (Sid Williams Theatre at 6 PM)
Learn how candidates plan to address food security:
We will be posting announcements of all candidates’ debates across the region on our social media channels. We encourage people attending all candidates debates or speaking with candidates to consider asking one of our prepared questions, and let us know how it goes by writing to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for more information?
For more information on municipal elections, food systems advocacy and working with municipal governments have a look at these two great resources, which have both been released in the last month:
The provincial government website contains helpful information about municipal elections in BC including the election process, election administration, voter eligibility and running for local office:
Thank you again for your support and interest. If you have any question about LUSH Valley’s role in advocacy please contact us at: email@example.com